E3 report part 1
Second day at E3 is over for me, so i thought it might be an idea to actually pretend i was there to report (which i wasn't).
So, stuff i've found interesting.
So, stuff i've found interesting.
- Seeing the Fallout 3 poster at Bethesda. I thought i was dead and gone to heaven. No manner of heckling the Bethesda dudes for a copy of the poster would do though.. Curses, it looks so good!
- Heavenly sword playable on PS3. I knew this game was beautiful but it plays really good, kind of like God of war, and the lead character is one of the best female character designs i've ever seen i think. A few odd things, like her dramatic running animation coupled with her relatively slow movement speed looked kind of stupid, but nowhere near as bad as the underwater running of Lost Planet.
Terrible cell phone video
- Warhawk on the PS3. This game looks unbelievable, and the tilt control is really fun. I think Sony did right in stealing that idea.
Another terrible cell phone video focusing on the tilt control
- God of war 2 actually looking better than God of war. How the hell is that even possible? It looks possibly even more brutal and more ass-holy than the first one. Def gonna have to keep tabs on this one.
- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. This game is.. Let's just say it looks so rad i watched the demo SIX TIMES in a row. The hand to hand combat looks so hard core, the demo guy was kicking enemies into spikes, pushing them into fire, shooting them in the ass with fire arrows throwing them off cliffs, stabbing them in the face, chest, cutting off heads (with a super cool slow motion effect) and fighting huge monsters that really interact with the world to get at you, crawling through tunnels, throwing away rocks you're hiding under, and finally taking your sword to the hilt through the face. I am beyond impressed. It looks amazing, if i could preorder now i would.
- Rayman for Wii. I saw a bunch and played a bunch of demos in the Wii booth that made the controller seem needlessly complex and awkward, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what Nintendo want the controller to do. Michel Ansel is helming a Rayman for Wii though, and from the trailer i can say the following: It looks hot, next gen style, and the controls really take the wii controller for real. There will be no sitting in your couch with your wiimote on your lap for this one, this game is going to animate people something fierce. Just to run you have to move the nunchuck and wiimote up and down alternately, like you would move your arms when you run for real. Basically each of your hands corresponds to each of Rayman's hands, and it looks fun as hell.
- Excite Truck. Most of the Wii demos were, frankly, dog ugly. Excite truck is really fast, looks very slick, and controls wonderfully by tilting the wiimote. It is an *excellent* game, make no mistake about that.
- Virtual console for Wii. I played a perfectly emulated Super mario world. Then i hit a button, went through an apple front-row like interface and loaded up a perfectly emulated Sonic the hedgehog. This is *hot*
- The shy korean girl handing out swagbags at the Shooro stand, trying to look interesting next to the absolutely retarded spectacle of the Fatal1ty stand, a stand so unbelievably stupid and wack it boggles the imagination. "Who's the greatest gamer in the world! Who's the greatest!" Fuck you, for what? For being good at Quake 4 multiplayer? Suddenly i don't want the gamer nomer to my name anymore. Anyhow this girl was super cute and didn't understand a word i said to her. Compared to the terrible booth babes getting in my face with junk i don't want, a shy girl that doesn't know what the hell she's doing there is total attraction.
- Chatting with the art director on Sin Episodes, which i am downloading as i type by the way. That game plays good, if a little jittery at times, but their vision is solid and the environments look totally beautiful. Their vision for this game and how they intend to evolve the game with each episode is really sound stuff, like keeping online stats of how players do, and use those statistics to better the next episode.
- The absolute HILARITY of people struggling with the bullshit controls on Red steel. Not only does Red Steel look like a damn DOG, but it controls HORRIBLY. The sword fighting sucks, the shooting is jittery, and you have to aim at the edges of the screen to turn. That game needs so much polish to even be remotely presentable.
Check it out
- Dawn of war expansion. Even the Tau look good, and i always thought they were such a boring race. They're also expanding the single player game into this whole Risk type game where you fight for a world map, reinforce regions and build armies. It looks super good, and hopefully the balance will be better this time around as well.
- Table tennis on the X360 is a GREAT game. I'll just leave it at that.
- That pirate MMORPG i can never remember the name for because it sounds and looks so much like pirates of the caribbean. It looks shit hot. I'll get into that.