Pretentious, opinionated language

Games, technology, music, silliness. Oh and ninjas. Lots of ninjas.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oslo, Norway

I am Andreas. Day time programmer and technical consultant. Night time musician and game developer.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Gall bladder removal

It's been a year or so since my gall bladder was declared "abnormally damaged" (thanks stressful work and genetics) and had to be removed.

I understand that my case was extreme and that i had little choice in the matter.

What i WILL call foul however, was *every fucking doctor i consulted* assuring me that i would feel literally no difference in terms of eating habits unless i "ate a particularly massive christmas dinner". If you're about to undergo this kind of surgery, and some doctor feeds you this bullshit, keep in mind that the resulting sideeffects of the surgery is so different from person to person that there's literally no reliable statistic.

So let me share my eating experiences. These are unpleasant details.

Water, or really any liquid on an empty belly = cramps, pain, possible diarrhea.
Green apples = cramps, pain. Dies out after about 5 minutes.
Ice cream = *guaranteed* cramps and diarrhea within 15 minutes. Depends somewhat on the brand of ice cream; i've had little ish with Haagen Dazs, but other brands will destroy me.
Tough meats = cramps and pain

Alcohol. Beer is a major no-no. Liquor is okay, i've had some issues when a lot of it goes down. Nothing like the absolute, mindblowing agony of the cramps it used to give me when i still had my wrecked gall bladder.

Worst of all, some days just fall apart by the seams. I've had days when i wake up with cramps, get more cramps when i eat, and go to bed hungry at night because i simply can't eat anything. Sometimes this goes on for days.

Don't get me wrong; now is *nothing* compared to the mind shattering debilitating pain of what i used to go through, but don't let any whitecoat tell you you can keep on living like you used to. Today, eating is like a puzzle, and my options can become very very boring at times. Sometimes i wish i could get it all in pill form so i didnt have to think about it. Nothing sucks more than being invited to a dinner and having to turn down the meal because you simply can't take it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

sounds like a botched surgery. you should go back and sue. :D

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home