Pretentious, opinionated language

Games, technology, music, silliness. Oh and ninjas. Lots of ninjas.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oslo, Norway

I am Andreas. Day time programmer and technical consultant. Night time musician and game developer.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

How to get the Defcon soundtrack

I don't know if this is naughty or not, but i found the Defcon soundtrack so inspiring and beautiful i knew i had to extract it from the game somehow, and seeing it as Introversion apparently aren't too keen on sharing, or even selling(!), i wondered if they'd done the cheapest trick in the book with their .dat files. I was right :)

To get your hands on the glorious soundtrack, simply make a copy of sounds.dat (located in your Defcon install directory), change it's extension to .zip and extract its contents with winzip or winrar. The files are (logically) the largest ones in the archive, and they're all high quality OGGs. If you want them on your iPod or somesuch, it's pretty straightforward to transcode them from ogg to mp3 using winLAME for instance.

Thanks Introversion for a fantastic game AND a fantastic soundtrack. It's kept me company at work for quite some time now :)

5 Comments:

Blogger The Phoenix Reborn said...

And here I was thinking that the DEFCON soundtrack was non-existant. You sir, are a genius. Thank you so much!

There were sounds I didn't even know was in the game, and other sounds that I "thought" I heard turned out to be real too. I used to think that the people making choking sounds were in my head. Apparently not.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

That worked like a charm! I'm going to make some of these evil sounds a ringtone :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Marcus said...

Thank you very much. I just love the sountrack. You are a good Norwegian and I will try to save you if we were to experience nuclear war.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Maybe you know it already, but the soundtrack's now officially available.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Lord Qzman said...

Hey dude you're great! I'll try this tomorrow but I believe it will work and thank you :)

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home